Skip to main content

Christian School and Chapel for the Deaf, Inc.

(previously known as the Evangelical School for the Deaf)

Home
Bienvenidos
About Us
Our Daily Schedule
Our Doctrinal Statement
Our Facilities
Our Handbell Choir
History
Donate
Outside Links
Archived Pages
photos from the 1960s                                                                                                                                                   photos from 1970s

If you have other documented information, please send a copy of the documentation along with any accounts or stories to us to be reviewed by our historian.


 In 1957, U.S. missionaries who were ministering to the deaf in Jamaica answered God's call to bring the Gospel to the deaf in Puerto Rico.



These new missionaries quickly learned that most of the deaf were illiterate. Without a language, how could these deaf understand the Gospel? 


The first step for the missionaries was to establish a school. They opened a school in a farm house in Barrio Casa Blanca, Luquillo and incorporated their ministry in 1959 as Evangelical Deaf Missions. 


Several years later, an additional a two- story building was erected to house three classrooms, a library and audio/visual room downstairs and a dorm with and attached counselors residence upstairs. 

 

Since these modest beginnings, hundreds of students have passed through ESD.

Today's students continue to receive Christian education at a low cost.